Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pac Crest Weekend Day 1

And, with little fanfare, my annual adventure in Sunriver, Oregon for the Pacific Crest Sports Festival Weekend has officially begun. Diane Cass and I arrived in Suniver about 2PM yesterday to clear skies and temperatures in the high 70s. This my first year in the casa de Walter, and I have to say, this is the way to roll. This house is beautiful, the company is top notch and I have my own bedroom.

But on a sadder note, my Grandmother Dorothy died yesterday from Alzheimer's disease. She's been sick for a long time and has deteriorated rapidly in the last week, so we've had time to prepare for the inevitable. But I was unexpected for how sad I felt when I got the news.

So I did what always makes me feel better: went for a bike ride. I rented a hardtail Kona at one of the bike shops in Sunriver and headed out for the Deschutes River Trail. Most of the trail is the mountain bike equivalent of a bike path, but it was beautiful and peaceful and the locals have built some fun offshoots with some moguls and smaller drop-offs. Went out to Dillon Falls and came back...probably 12-13 mile round trip. On the way back I found the single track that leads from Benham Falls to Sunriver. It was really rocky (I'm not a huge fan of riding rocks) but I rode it well and actually made it up a longer rocky incline without getting off of the bike. The last mile was flat and fast and I was totally in the zone, skidding through corners and riding over anything that was in my way. Heading out to Phil's Trail system near Bend later this morning and looking forward to more dirty solitude.

Greetings from Dillon Falls:

No comments: