Monday, October 20, 2008

This Race Report is Mostly About my Ass

The long and short of the Rainier Race is that I have most definitely lost my front line starting position. Which is OK, because I'm not racing like I, in any way, deserve that position.

So, if you race cyclocross in Portland, you know that the Cross Crusade course in Rainier has a huge goddamn hill in the middle of it. Roadies love this course. My left butt cheek really didn't really feel the same way and, halfway up that hill on the second lap, decided to unmercifully cramp. After laying on the ground for about 2-3 minutes trying to stretch it out, I hopped back on my bike and just rode in circles for the next 30 minutes. Faceplanted at a barrier, dropped my chain a few times. Winced a lot. Good times.

Cramping aside, I'm not sure how well I would have finished. I have been so tired lately. No amount of rest days and 9PM bedtimes is alleviating my fatigue. So the question now becomes, what to do about it?
---
In more positive news, I just got back from the pool. For the first time in five months, I was able to swim more than 1/2 lap. Twenty minutes with zoomers, stretching every 100 yards. Not by any means painfree workout, but it felt so good to be in the water.

No comments: